Numeracy is a core subject within Riverside and is taught using an approach called Visual Maths. Numeracy is taught in discrete lessons and also through cross curricular learning. Numeracy can be split into a number of key aspects:
- Number and place value.
- Addition and subtraction.
- Multiplication and division.
- Fractions (including decimals and percentages).
- Ratio and proportion.
- Properties of shapes.
- Position and direction.
The national curriculum aims to ensure that all children:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and nonroutine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Please refresh the page if the pdf does not load within 5 seconds.