At Riverside, children are encouraged to be physically active and to lead healthy lives. Our PE curriculum supports these and also promotes the development of core skills and engaging in healthy competition.
At Key Stage 1 children are taught to:
- Master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities.
- Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending.
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns.
At Key Stage 2 children are taught to:
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending.
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics].Perform dances using a range of movement patterns.
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- Compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
In Year 4 children attend swimming sessions. Children aim to:
- Confidently swim at least 25 metres.
- Use a range of different strokes.
- Develop their understanding and abilities when looking at safety in the water.