There is a legal requirement to teach religious education within schools. At Riverside we use the agreed Devon syllabus to ensure our children learn about religions from around the world. The RE curriculum can be broken into key areas:
- Beliefs, teachings, sources of wisdom and authority.
- Expressing meaning.
- Questions of meaning, purpose and truth.
- Ways of living.
- Identify: diversity and belonging.
- Values and commitments.
At Key Stage 1, children will look at Christianity and one other religion. Children will also have the chance to visit places of worship, speak to religious figures and share their own views on religion. They will look at these through topics such as:
- Why are some stories special?
- Why are some symbols and places special?
- Where do we belong?
At Key stage 2, children will look at the following religions:
- Non-religious world views, e.g. Humanism.
Children will also have the chance to visit places of worship, speak to religious figures and discussing a range of religious views. These will be taught through a range of topics such as:
- How should we live and who can inspire us?
- What do people believe about life?
- How do we make moral choices?